Skip to main content

Flamme Rouge

The Paris to Roubaix Spring Classic on your dinner table.



mmmm flavour country!
When it comes to the word Cyclist there are usually two kinds of people, you either get a knowing smile or you get a angry red face, spit on the ground as you leave and a toss of salt for good measure kinda person.  I'll be up front I am the kind of person who has a knowing smile. In fact my PS4 screen name is Souplesse which in the cycling world means perfect pedalling.


Look, I get it.  It's the no shame spandex wearing, we own the road - are vehicles/not vehicles so we don't follow the road rules or pedestrian rules riders.  We ride 10 wide on a 2 lane highway and are a shining beacon of healthy living and green transport.   Here I am in my giant dually truck sucking down a Baconator. BOOM! GET OUT THE WAY! GET OUT THE WAY!  There seems to be stereotypes on both sides.


The reason why I love cycling is because at it's purest it reminds me of my childhood.  It was a simpler time in the 80's, my parents didn't hover over us.  Unlike today where I'm pretty much my son's personal DJI Phantom we've grown from helicopter parents to quad copter parents.

Like this in the 80s without the Upside Down.

Ok, back to my childhood.  Like I was saying after your training wheels came off you were basically told come back home for dinner and then come back home before it was dark.  Otherwise it was FREEDOM!  I could go to my friends house, 7-Eleven, and the Playground all on my own!   I remember whizzing about with no helmet(very dumb), building jumps with buddies(really no helmet?) and, just having a grand old time.

I think once we learn to drive as adults we really forget about cycling.  That's "just exercise" we say and suddenly the wheels have come off and you are huffing and puffing beside other spandex clad people in a spin class.  Look the odometer says I've done 500km this winter and I literally went no where!

I renewed my love of cycling in 2009 when I started to train for the first Ride to Conquer Cancer here in Alberta.  I had a road bike for the first time in my life and I could go far...like really far.  Starting out I could do 10km max and over the summer getting 70km? 100km?  sure why not!   At my peak I completed a imperial Century 100miles/160km in one day - I was one of the last riders to finish; they were disassembling the finish line structure but I made it!

At this point I started to watch the Tour de France religiously.  It also helped that my Dutch Co-worker, is an avid cyclist and fan of the Tour.  His stories of cycling holiday through the Pyrenees and climbing the Tourmalet inspired me.  I hope to do the same someday with my son once he graduates from his balance bike.

These days it seems all the stories from the Tour are just about unclean cyclists.  I guess cycling has always had its sordid past.  Including a cyclist who died in the race due to amphetamines and alcohol use during the race.  His excuse was everyone is doping so I got to as well! 

But the most amazing one for me is one of Eugene Christophe.  Who had to reforge his front forks during the tour after them failing not once but many times throughout the different Tours he was in.  I guess good metal was hard to find after the Great War?

Wow, we sure did end up in the weeds.  Flamme Rouge yes that is why we are here.   From looking at the art on the box it would seem that the game is set around the 1920's era of Bicycle racing.  The base game is for 2-4 players and you are a team of two; a Rouleur and a Sprinteur.

Each of your cyclists has a deck of cards that you use to make your way through the cardboard race track.  On the track are little spaces for you to  move through.  If you end your turn one space away  from the person ahead of you, you get to draft and move up to the spot immediately behind them simulating a peloton. 

Pull your weight!


However if you sprint ahead and end up on off on your own at the front or if you get dropped off the back you will have to take an Exhaustion card into your deck.   Just like in the modern TdF you have Domestiques hauling along Climbers and Sprinters to the special stages riding in front.  Their noble sacrifice might be the difference between you wearing the Yellow Jersey or being minutes back from the next rider.  In this way you will have to manage your deck to be able to get your team across the line first!

The boys over at Shut Up and Sit Down have a excellent review of Flamme Rouge.  I highly recommend giving it a view as I am not intending this blog to be a review site.

The game comes with two piece plastic riders which in my copy had fallen apart in shipping.   So I decided I would paint them up.  I missed out snapping some pictures of the prep work but here is what I have done so far for the bikes.  The Riders are washed and ready to be primed.  Stay tuned for more progress updates in the New Year!


Fixie Gang ready for an Alley Cat Race

Testing out my Color Scheme

Update 1:  Here is my Painting Diary for Flamme Rouge and the finished main game riders



Update 2: Flamme Rouge:Peloton Expansion arrived this past weekend.  4 More riders to complete.  Team Pink and Team White!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flamme Rouge Painting Diary

  Colour Diary Colours Used: Bicycles Primer: Vallejo Grey (not thinned) Medium: Vallejo - Thinner Medium 70.524 Bikes: Citadel (Base) - Mephiston Red            Vallejo Model Color - Black Grey 70.862            Citadel (Base) Macragge Blue            Citadel (Layer) Sybarite Green Tyres: Vallejo Model Color - Black 70.950 Leather: Vallejo Model Color - Leather Brown 70.871 and Vallejo Model Color - Calvary Brown 70.982 Metal bits: Vallejo Game Colour - Chainmail Silver 72.053 and Vallejo Model Color - Gunmetal Grey 70.863 Wash: Citadel (Shade): Nuln Oil, Carrosburg Crimson, Biel-Tan Green Sealant: Vallejo Matt Varnish 70.520 Cyclists Primer: Vallejo Grey (not thinned) Medium: Vallejo - Thinner Medium 70.524 Skin:     Vallejo Model Color - Sunny Skin Tone 70.845              Vallejo Model Color - Basic Skintone 70.815               Citadel(Shade): Reikland Fleshshade Uniforms:                   Caps: Vallejo Model Color - White Grey 70.993 w

Flashpoint Painting Diary

I hope that everyone had a chance to decompress during the holidays and recharge your batteries for 2018.  My Christmas was full of family stuff and I was hoping to get some more board gaming in but alas I succumbed to a nasty flu virus and was knocked out for 4 days. Anyhow before any of that happened I managed to make some progress on the miniatures for Flashpoint.   When we left each other last you saw a preview of the HAZMAT Operator: Colour Diary When ever I am going create a painting diary post I am going to list the colours so that, if you at home someday are reading this blog you can follow along.  Citadel Paints are easily found in most Gaming Stores and if you are in a large city and have a Games Workshop they would carry the full line.  When I started painting I bought a lot of Citadel paints, but about 4 months in I switched over to Vallejo because it comes in a dropper bottle.  Let me tell you how much easier it is to work with!  Not to mention that it

Star Wars: Legion Rebels Painting Diary

Star Wars: Legion Painting Diary Build Diary The models that come with the game need to be assembled.  Unlike some of the metal miniatures from Infinity with 5-10 parts these are mainly 2-3 parts.  You should make a decision to glue the arms to the models or leave them lose and assemble afterwards.  Some of the sculpts make it difficult to get areas with a brush after its been glued.  Personally for me I like to glue everything together for better priming, zenithal lighting and if you make a mistake later with a gap it will be harder to fill and colour match.   In any case you should test fit all the pieces before glueing to make sure its flush,  the injection point for the mould is where the joint goes into the body.  On some of the models there was some extra plastic in the way to allow the model to be flush.  Take your hobby knife and clean it up a bit and test fit it again until its flush. After I glued the pieces in, I highly recommend holding it into position